// Ballet I, II // Modern I, II // Improvisation I, II // Composition I, II // Senior Focus
The On-Site Audition Includes:
Three components: 1 minute Solo, Ballet Class, Modern Dance Class
Classes are conducted by dance professionals.
- Applicants attend two dance classes;
- *Ballet class with barre and center floor exercises (ballet shoes required)
- **Modern dance class with center, floor work, and repertory phrases (bare feet required)
- Applicants should come with a prepared 60 second solo.
- ***Solos must not be improvised and costumes are not allowed.
- All music should be on a CD (ensure the CD works properly prior to the audition)
- Solos may be choreographed by the applicant or someone else.
- Applicants must wear dance attire;
- Female–Black leotard and Pink tights (convertible to bare feet)
Male– White T-shirt (fitted) and Black tights or leggings (convertible to bare feet)
- Ballet shoes are required.
- Hair secured in a tight bun is required.
- No jewelry is allowed.
*Ballet is a classical dance form utilizing formal and precise movement techniques, ballet shoes, graceful elongated lines, articulation of feet, and external rotation. Class will include; adagio, port de bras, petit allegro, sauté, tour, pirouette, and grand allegro.
**Modern dance is a 20th. century contemporary concert form. The class will utilize articulation of the torso, expressiveness, movement experimentation, overall strength, bare feet, parallel rotation, and floor work. Repertory phrases will require the applicant to recall extended phrases and perform with a suggested nuance and flair.
***Solo material needs to reflect the dancer’s individuality, confidence, and technical skill.
News & Events
Mar 18, 2020 7:00pm, Enochs Black Box Theater
Mar 19, 2020 – Mar 20, 2020 7:00pm, Enochs Black Box Theater
Apr 15, 2020 12:30pm, Dance Studio
Apr 16, 2020 7:00pm, Dance Studio
Apr 28, 2020 3:30pm, Dance Studio
Apr 30, 2020 7:00pm, Dance Studio
May 7, 2020 7:00pm, Dance Studio
Tammy Stanford holds an MFA from Montclair State University and BFA in Dance from the University of Southern Mississippi. She is founder of the Dance department and Movement Specialist for Theatre at MSA. She was awarded MSA’s Teacher of the Year for 2016 and Thad Cochran Distinguished Arts Educator in dance from the Mississippi Alliance for Arts Education in 2004. Ms. Stanford is chair of the dance writing committee and trainer for MS Department of Education’s Visual and Performing Arts Framework. She has been a member of the Teaching Artist Roster for the Mississippi Arts Commission and provided dance programing for agencies, schools and universities throughout Mississippi. She has graduate training in Process Pedagogy with the National Dance Institute. She has received recognition for choreography, teaching, and directing of over twenty years of concert stage performances.