Be a part of an artistically talented class of junior and senior high school students from all over the state of Mississippi.
I N F O R M A T I O N
D O W N L O A D S
Coordinator of Advancement
We’re here to help!
Our Mailing Address:
ATTN: Admissions Office
Mississippi School of the Arts
P.O. Box 229
Brookhaven, MS 39602-0229
Mississippi School of the Arts is not a college, private institution or charter school. We’re a fully-accredited, public residential high school operated by the Mississippi State Board of Education / Mississippi Department of Education and funded by Mississippi Legislature. MSA is located on a former college campus, where most buildings are listed on the national register of historic places. MSA focuses on the advanced study of fine arts, aligned with a college preparatory curriculum.
Criteria for Admission to Mississippi School of the Arts
- Be a resident anywhere in Mississippi.
- Be a current tenth grader with a minimum of 10 Carnegie units of study upon the completion of the tenth grade year
- Demonstrate artistic achievement in the visual, performing, or literary arts
- Submit a completed online application with supporting documents
- Complete an on-site interview (by invitation only)
- Audition and/or present a portfolio for review on site (by invitation only)
- Have an overall high school grade point average of 2.5 (Schools must include all visual and performing arts course grades in calculating overall GPA)
- Provide results from the ACT (no minimum score required)
Costs to Attend Mississippi School of the Arts
Students pay no tuition to attend MSA. However, there is a Room & Board fee of $1,000 per year to assist with the expenses of housing a student. Legislative appropriations support most of the costs for attendance at MSA. Parents will also be responsible for expenses such as incidental fees, laundry, spending money and for individual expenses. Fees vary according to arts disciplines. A fee schedule is provided in the student handbook. Students may apply for a hardship waiver to assist with these fees upon acceptance to attend Mississippi School of the Arts.
Interview & Audition Application Process
- Get access to a personal desktop/laptop computer (preferred). If you do not have personal access, you may check with your local school district, public library, family member or friend’s house.
- Create an online InfoSnap account. You will need an e-mail address for this process. If you do not have an e-mail account, you may use free services such as Yahoo Mail, G-Mail, Microsoft Live, etc.
- Follow all prompts and answer questions as required.
- Recommendation forms will be populated for each discipline that is selected for audition. Students are permitted to audition for up to three arts disciplines.
- All materials listed on the checklist (transcripts, residency, recommendations, etc.) at the conclusion of the online submission must be mailed to the school address provided. Click here to download additional copies of supplement forms as seen in the online application.
- Along with the supplemental forms, mail us the results of your ACT exam. MSA does not require a minimum score.
- You may save your online application at any time and return later by logging in with your InfoSnap account, but make sure to submit your application by February 1st.
- If selected, you will receive an invitation for on-site interview and audition. Prepare to attend Auditions Day / Weekend by having your student portfolio ready. For a list if things to prepare for, please view our programs of study.
- After Auditions Day/Weekend, scores will be tallied based on a rubric scale. After a few weeks, you’ll receive an official status notification via mail. Good luck to all of the applicants!